A Curry House owner has been convicted of manslaughter and jailed after he failed to take notice of the allergy warnings given to him by a customer who subsequently died due to the from the food provided.
The restaurant owner Mr Mohammed Zaman was described as reckless and having a cavalier attitude to risk by the judge.
Mr Paul Wilson suffered from severe anaphylactic shock in January 2014 after he ate a takeaway which contained nuts from Mr Zaman’s restaurant ‘The Indian Garden’ in Easingwold North Yorkshire.
Mr Wilson specified no peanuts on his order and this was written on his order. Despite this the meal was made using a nut powder which contained peanuts and led to Mr Wilson’s death.
What makes this case even worse is that three weeks before Mr Wilson made his order another customer had suffered a similar reaction to the curry. Mr Zaman was aware of this but failed to act
Mr Zaman was found guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence and also was guilty of six food safety offences.
The Judge described the incident as totally avoidable
A further more detailed report can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36360111
Comment on this Case:
This case shows the importance of risk management by restaurant and takeaway owners when people say they have a food allergy. This is a tragic case but many restaurant owners and waiters still unfortunately not take seriously warnings from customers about food allergy problems (such as gluten free) seeing them as ‘faddy’ or ‘fussy’. This case will make it clear that this approach can have disastrous consequences and it is important staff are trained to recognise and act on risks like this.
If you have had an experience at a restaurant where your allergy has been ignored and you have suffered the consequences you should not hesitate to contact us on 01535958778 or 07821809843. We are specialists in this area and we can quickly and efficiently advise you whether you have a claim, if you can bring one and the likely compensation you may be awarded.