Food Poisoning At Nursing Home Causes Six Residents to Fall Ill

Food poisoning in London Nursing home – temperature control critical in avoiding food poisoning.

The outbreak happened at The Grange Care Centre in Southall in West London and related to pureed beef served to the residents soon after Christmas Day. The investigation into the outbreak which affected six residents found harmful bacteria which was linked to the pureed food not being maintained at an even temperature prior to being served. The operators of the home Life Style Care PLC pleaded guilty to three offences under food hygiene regulations and were fined a total of £14,415.15 including court costs.

Further details can be found at http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/west-london-care-home-ordered-to-pay-more-than-14000-in-costs-after-food-poisoning-outbreak-a3090901.html

What Can This Case teach us about Food Poisoning?

Two things:

  1. In an environment where elderly or vulnerable residents are present the need for strict controls and monitoring are absolutely critical for proper management
  2. What is also clear from this case is that the temperature which foods are stored is absolutely critical. There is no suggestion that the premises where dirty or poorly maintained but simply a defective system for storing food. Proper training and management are paramount

If you believe you have suffered from food poisoning and believe it may be the fault of a shop restaurant or other public service you need legal advice on whether you can claim.

Contact us for free no obligation specialist advice from qualified Solicitors on 01535958778 or 07821809843