Food Poisoning and Anaphylactic Shock Reaction

Food Poisoning and Anaphylactic Shock Reaction

The recent shocking case of a man who died from Anaphylactic shock after a restaurant owner failed to take his allergies seriously can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36360111http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36360111

Anaphylactic Shock is a life threatening allergic reaction.  After an initial exposure to a specific type of food the affected person’s immune system becomes sensitised to that allergen. This means that after exposure to the food afterwards (say in a restaurant) the reaction is severe and involves the whole body.

What Happens when you go into Anaphylactic Shock?

Breathing becomes difficult as the airways become obstructed and swellings and hives on the lips and eyelids and throat can appear. If the airways become blocked a heart attack can result.

Additional symptoms can include nausea of vomiting , slurred speech, abdominal pain or cramping and skin redness.

What is the Treatment for Anaphylactic Shock?

It cannot be stressed enough that anaphylactic shock is  a life threatening condition and immediate professional attention is required. It is an emergency.

Depending on how quickly medical assistance arrives – and it is vital that there is no delay then drugs can be administered that open the airways and raise blood pressure from the low level caused by the anaphylactic shock.

What is the Prognosis for Anaphylactic Shock cases?

The prognosis is very poor without prompt treatment. However- with prompt therapy in time a full recovery can be made.

What Can I do if I think I have suffered from a Anaphylactic Shock Caused by Food Poisoning?

For free initial advice please call 01535 958 778, email us, or use the contact form on this page.
We want to ensure that you get every penny of the compensation you are entitled to as quickly and efficiently as possible.