Food Poisoning Risk At Local Eatery Shows Importance of Kitchen Hygiene

Dangers of  Food Poisoning at a popular local pub shows dangers in contravening food hygiene regulations.

The inspection by Environmental Health officers happened at the Yard Bar in Brook St Ilkley where the kitchen hygiene was described as filthy according to evidence given at Keighley and Bradford Magistrates Court

Raw meat was left next to a tray of cooked food and uncooked burgers were left lying on top of ready to eat lettuce.

That was not the end of the food hygiene regulations. Grease was running down the walls in the kitchen and carrot and coriander soup was ten days old.

A further breach of the hygiene and food regulations was that the towels used to dry hand had also been used to clean work surfaces.

The Prosecution for food hygiene breaches had been brought by Bradford Council. In their defence the pub claimed to have gained a four star food hygiene rating since the inspection had taken place.

They therefore claimed that this was evidence that they were finally taking steps to comply with the food hygiene regulations.

Magistrates accepted the Company’s guilty plea and in addition to imposing a fine, they ordered the company to pay £1,250 costs to Bradford Council, a further £675 prosecution costs, and a victim surcharge of £120.