Teenager died after allergic reaction from eating at Byron Burger

owen cary byron burger food allergen death

The teen, Owen Cary, had made the staff aware that he had food allergies. Yet a Coroner’s enquiry found that a teenager’s tragic death was caused by an anaphylactic reaction to buttermilk in a chicken burger. The coroner’s court was told that the menu didn’t mention that the chicken had been marinated in buttermilk.

The Coroner stated that current policy left too much room for error. However Byron’s technical manager, responsible for food safety training, said “If you have an allergy you should be asking for information and the team would be able to provide that information in the allergy guide.”

The assistant coroner, Briony Ballards, ruling stated:

” The deceased made serving staff aware of his allergies. The menu was reassuring in that it made no reference to any marinade or potential allergenic ingredient in the food selected.

“The deceased was not informed that there were allergens in the order. The food served to and consumed by the deceased contained dairy, which caused the deceased to suffer a severe anaphylactic reaction from which he died.”

The parents of Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, who died after eating a Pret A Manger baguette, called the ruling a “landmark judgement”.

Clodagh Bradley QC, representing Carey’s family, from Crowborough, East Sussex said that that allergy information was hard to read on the menu. The information was on the back cover and printed in black on a blue background. Owen Carey’s mother called on the government to change to law saying” We hope we can bring about change with Owen’s Law for better allergen labelling in restaurants.”

Francis O’Neill, our principal solicitor said “This case shows how vital it is to make staff aware of any specific allergen requirements. However it also shows that the law needs to be even clearer as to dangerous allergen labelling and information for food – these need to be put clearly where they can be seen on menus and not in small type on the back – as here it seems even the staff were unaware the burger contained allergens – with fatal consequences”.

If you or a loved one has had food poisoning from any commercial outlet, including hospitals and medical premises, we may be able to help you. Please feel free to get in contact and we’ll give you a quick and fair assessment of whether you can make a claim for compensation. You can ring us on 01535 958778 or fill in the form on this page. We’ll get back to you asap.

This article is compiled from publicly available press reports.  The information is published in good faith but we cannot vouch for it’s truth or accuracy. If you have any concerns please seek appropriate qualified medical or legal advice before taking any action.